Saturday, June 12, 2010

The A-Team (2010)

I'm definitely not one of those guys who grew up watching the original A-Team. The only thing I know about the A-Team is that Mr T starred in it. But that's really about it. From watching the trailers, I would expect it to be your typical team of commando story with tons of action and comedy. It was only the day before watching the movie that I began to look up on YouTube about clips and information of the original A-Team, you know, just to get an idea how the original conception was like, then maybe I can appreciate this new remake better. I have to admit the original one was definitely a retro-classic piece, especially with their theme music and having the iconic Mr T. I really have no idea how the filmmakers would redeliver the A-Team in today's generation. I had a very, very low expectation of this remake, especially since we've already been treated with movies like Charlie Angels, G.I Joe and The Losers which all of these movies weren't good at all. So, I expected A-Team to be just another addition to it. Boy, was I wrong. The team behind this movie definitely had a plan.

"I love it when a plan comes together."

There was really nothing new to the story this movie is trying to tell. A matter of fact, the plot lines may have been use several times in the past, especially in the recent movie release "The Losers" which also focus on group of elite soldiers who were frame for a crime they did not commit. So, there was really nothing surprising or fresh about it. But it wasn't so much on the story but the characters themselves. Who cares about the money plate or who exactly the bad guy is? The character's personality, charisma, interaction and chemistry, watching them work together and teaming up to bring a plan to fruition stole the spotlight. That was the trademark of the A-Team. To me, that was gold! The special effects, as much as the film had used, didn't quite steal the spotlight either, although I got a feeling the filmmakers intended for the visual effects to blow the audience away. But let movies for visual effects be for visual effects, and action comedy stay true to action comedy. In this movie however, there's were plenty of CG effects that I felt was overuse, which I really think they shouldn't be too flashy with it. But that said, there were some effects used to really boost the action, the tension and the comedy of the scene. For example, the helicopter chase was awesome and really delivered the punch during the opening scene. The scene with Face using the machine gun on the parachuted tank was overly cliché. Still, the most beloved and iconic scene to me, didn't really need that any special effects. It was the "3D" scene when the team rescued Murdock from the military psychiatric hospital. Coupled with the original A-Team theme, that was epic!

I've seen a dragonfly, I've seen a housefly, I've even seen an elephant fly but now you see a Tank fly!

Among the original A-Team, I really felt that B.A Baracus stole the limelight. Not only was his Mohawk was so prominent, but his baddie attitude and the lines he said that only Mr T can deliver really made the character. It also added flavour to the other characters around him when they interact with him. But it was definitely Mr T's B.A Baracus that really made the A-Team an A-listed team and TV show. But in this movie however, I really felt Liam Nesson's Hannibal was the one who stole the limelight. Because of my low expectation of this film initially, I really wondered how a serious heavyweight actor from Hollywood like Liam Nesson could end up in this film. But after watching his Hannibal, Liam's performance was brilliant (as usual). From his smirks, him pumping the cigars all the way to his "Aslan" voice delivering some quirky lines, he carved John "Hannibal" Smith to perfection. That said, however, I really do need to pick up the original TV show to compare Liam's Hannibal to George Peppard's Hannibal.

Perhaps the next greatest Hannibal in Hollywood since Hannibal Lecter

The next A-Team member I want to talk about is B.A Baracus. Seeing B.A in this movie really made you miss Mr T. You probably had the same feeling, as I did, that the A-Team isn't going to work because this movie lacked Mr T, and the filmmakers are trying to replace him. I was very wrong. The filmmakers were doing their best to bring back the character, not the actor, and I'm very impressed with Quinton Jackson's B.A. As much as Mr T's look and personality made up B.A's, Quinton Jackson and the filmmakers paid homage to Mr T's character indirectly through his Mohawk and the spirit of the character, especially in delivering every line that B.A speaks except for the ones that Mr T is popular for. So, there weren't much "fool"-ing or "jibber-jabber"-ing. Matter of fact, Mr T's trademark line "I pity the fool" were inscribed in Quinton's B.A's fists; "PITY" and "FOOL". If that didn't make you hear Mr T's voice in your head when reading B.A's fist, I don't know what will. Other than that, you've got the whole package of B.A including his Bad attitude, his fear of flying and being knocked out unconscious before being put on to anything that flies.

He need Snickers.

The next guy you gotta love is H.M "Howling Mad" Murdock. He is definitely one of the most interesting characters I've seen in movies. When you get a team of commandos, you would normally get a Tech-guy, a Sniper-guy, a Bomber-man, a Pilot, an engineer or even a Ninja. Here, you get a pilot. But what makes this pilot so different from any previous incarnation of "specialized commando team member" is that he's crazy, insane and not just ordinarily crazy or insane, but extraordinarily insane. Never mind if he tried to jump start an ambulance with defibrillator or barbecue meat with gunpowder. What really stuck to me was the scene when he hanged on the helicopter blades to test the condition of the helicopter. That really defined the character to me. I absolutely love his scene at the military mental hospital when he puts on the 3D movie he got from 'Annabelle' Smith. The chemistry between Murdock with B.A was brilliant! I just love the scenes they were in together, every conversation, every look on their face, they were hilarious! Sharlto Copley really delivered an amazing performance.

Feels like he's wearing that for a pilot episode. Pilot, get it?!... Nevermind

Ok, perhaps the least favourite member of the team to me is Templeton "Face" Peck. I really don't know anything about the original Face in the TV series. I really felt there wasn't much to his character except for being good looking for the ladies, and being a womanizer, kinda like the A-Team's Johny Bravo. I find the only reason, for this movie, for him to be in the A-Team is to introduce and work with Jessica Biel's character. Apart from the opening scene when he comes rolling down in a row of tyres and the closing scene when the team was arrest and put into the van, there really wasn't much else to flesh out his character. The scene when he gets all romantic with Jessica Biel's character or the scene with him blazing the machine gun on the floating tank was really nothing special or iconic. I don't know how the character fare in the TV show, but I really hope Dirk Benedict's Face is much better than Bradley Cooper's one. Still, I give him credit for taking the lead in strategizing the plan in capturing Pike.

No wonder he's called Face

As for Jessica Biel's Captain Charisa Sosa, she's just as important as the money plaits, the CIA dude called Lynch and the antagonist Pike. She only served the purpose of driving the story forward and giving Face a storyline. There weren't any depth to her character and I really think the writers should have developed a better leading lady character for Jessica Biel. Perhaps, the only time I did like her character was when she kissed Face towards the end of the film. And to avoid any spoilers, I thought that was pretty smart with what she did. Expected, but smart. I give her credit for that and that only.

Does this remind you of Lt Kara Wade from Stealth?

Like the original TV show, over the top action was every where and almost throughout the film. I understand that some people found it as a noisy film. But I loved it! I mean that's what I paid my money for! To watch action comedy from an action comedy film. There were moments when the characters got to relax, chit chat and serious moments to put down the foundations for the story and to introduce their mission. They weren't long at all and you didn't need to wait long before the A-Team carries out their plan. That's a good thing... I really wanted to see the A-Team in action. So, I couldn't care about the money plates or the romance between Face and Sosa. If I wanted to watch a conspiracy war film, I'll watch Green Zone. If I wanted to watch a romantic film, I'll go watch Titanic.

"I pity the fool"

After watching this film, I'm pretty much turned into an A-Team fan. I've got now the "A-theme" in my phone and I'm desperately trying to get my hands on the original series. It makes me wonder if there will be a sequel planned for the future, or perhaps a new TV series. Remember there was an "8 years and 80 successful missions later" between the time of the opening scene and before they got their mission surrounding the money plates. I can already imagine a TV series being made during that time line with the A-Team carrying out their missions given by General Morrison. That would be amazing! Overall, I give an 8 out 10 Black GMC Vandura Vans.

 The A-Team Mobile!

So, if you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team. Jibber-jabber in the comments below, what would be the darnest thing you would have them do?

Yea.. Retro Goodness!

No comments: